Thursday, May 5, 2011

Seedlings fail


Well I meant to do a post about my seedlings a long time ago. It's a good thing I didn't because I'd still need to do this post that would pretty much make any prior post obsolete. My seedlings ended up dying before I was able to plant them outside. I suspect that after they sprouted I watered them too much and the roots couldn't get a good hold. Now that there's not a chance of a frost I will throw some jelly bean tomato seeds (a small tomato variety) and eggplant seeds in my garden to see if they'll grow. I have started a 2nd batch of seedlings... this time of basil, thyme, peppers, and rosemary. One of my neighbors gave them to me when he saw me preparing my raised garden bed. I'm trying the every-day-spray-bottle method so I don't over-water them. It may be slightly more time consuming, but it's a good hand workout and will be worth it if they don't die prematurely.

Has anyone out there had success using egg cartons as seedling starters? I read that they work and I like reusing "trash," but I fear there are problems with them.

I made my own little labels with toothpicks and post-its covered with tape. That did work well. - minor victory.

4 comments:

  1. I was able to get seedlings to grow out of egg cartons, but I was worried (and, given my experience, kind of justified) that the roots wouldn't have enough room to soak up nutrients. So I upcycled some empty toilet paper rolls by cutting them in half and using them as egg-space extensions. Put a dozen of those half-rolls in each spot, fill with soil, plant a seed, and keep moist in a dark place until they sprout. That seemed to work for me. When they sprout several inches, though, it seems pretty critical to get them into soil or they'll crumple pretty quickly. The good thing about the toilet paper rolls (so I've heard) is that you can plant them with the sprouts lock-stock-and-barrel into the soil, and they'll just compost. The egg cartons are pretty useful in keeping the mess to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice that's genius! Love it! thanks for the reuse idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read that you can use egg shells to start seedlings in. Then you can just plant them directly into the ground. (I haven't personally tried it, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherie, I've read that too. I've been curious a/b how it would work, but I get too excited about putting the shells in my compost that I don't think to save them. I think the similar problem of roots not be able to get deep enough, would be a problem.

    ReplyDelete