Monday, April 18, 2011

New Vanity!

The slow bathroom remodel continues. As I said in a previous post I'm keeping the black and white tiles in my bathroom. I've been working on the walls, but I knew that if I got a vanity that would force me to do some more painting.
Here's what I wanted in a new vanity:
  • Storage space
  • Black counter with white sink (matchy match the floor)
  • 8 inch spread faucet for easy cleaning (chrome to match the shower rod)
  • Open bottom shelf so it won't block the vent
  • Sliding doors
  • Adjustable feet b/c I suspected the floor would not be even (Boy was I right?!)
That vanity doesn't exist as a stock item, so I laid down some cash to buy a nice granite countertop and to pay someone to build a sink cabinet to fit. A friend helped me out to get the granite and recommended a carpenter. He did a great job! He built it just to my specifications, delivered it, and even came back later to help me hook up the plumbing after I painted the walls and the cabinet.

Lessons learned:
  1. Prep the area so that the vanity is flush with the wall or the sidesplash and backsplash may not fit (I'll have to do some readjusting before I secure those in place)
  2. I read that 36 inch height vanities are becoming more and more common because people are getting taller. It may just take some getting used to, but 36 feels awfully tall at first. 34 or 35 height may have been better for my small space.
  3. Speaking of small space - if you have a tiny bathroom, go with a shallower counter space and smaller sink. If I were to do it again, I would have done 20 inch depth instead of 24; 15 inch width sink instead of 17.

On the bright side - I have a decent amount of storage space in the bathroom now, even after getting rid of the medicine cabinet.


New Vanity

1 comment: