Friday, August 13, 2010

Weekend Project - Regrouting bathtub

I'm going for it. After much deliberation I have decided to keep the tile in my bathroom. However, the tub walls desperately need to have the grout and some unmatching tiles replaced (what were they thinking with that tile combo?! - - see picture). This is going to be my weekend project.



I went to Habitat ReStore to find "white tiles."  There are so many shades of white, it took a long time to match my existing tiles to a set of ones from the thrift store, but I really lucked out! The best match was a box of over 40 tiles! I wanted to have more than the 2 that MUST be replaced just in case I break some... now I have a lot of flexibility to replace old tiles. The best part is that I got the box for $3.

The rest of the project is a little more pricey since I needed to buy a dremel attachment, the grout, a grout float, a grout remover (which I might return if the dremel is sufficient), a bucket for mixing, tile cleaner, grout sealant. My justification is that I'm building my tool supply. The total cost of items that I won't be able to use again was around $30 ($12 for grout, $10 for sealant, $5 for cleaner). I suppose I should add a couple more dollars for the caulk that I'll need to finish the job, but I've had it for so long I don't really remember how much it was.

I'll try to post more this weekend as the project progresses. So far I've just done a thorough cleaning of the tiles. Next steps - protect the tub and start removing old grout!

2 comments:

  1. What a great find! I really admire all the work you're doing. It must be very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not to be a downer; but hun. . . . you're gonna really regret using white tiles. They're hella hard to keep clean. I redid my bathroom and went with 12inch sq. sand stone tiles much easier to clean and if they're dirty you can't tell too much. Also it allows you to use grout that isn't white which also helps with the cleaning.

    ReplyDelete