Saturday, January 30, 2010

Slow remodel of the bathroom... first, new shower rod.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to completely redo the bathroom or just update it with some new tiles, a new sink, and different window. Since I haven't made the big decision about gutting the bathroom or not, I've decided that in the meantime I can at least install some new pieces that will transfer to the updated bathroom. Tonight, I installed a new shower rod. It's one of those stainless steel curved rods that a lot of the hotels have. It helps keep the shower curtain from flying into the shower even if they don't have weighted magnets in them. Those types of rods also provide more space in the shower. I was excited to find it at Marshalls for only $25 (and it included a heavy weight vinyl shower curtain and nice stainless steel rings too). They're upwards of $50 at other stores.

I'm sure you're wondering, "how did installing the new rod go???" Well, luckily the pieces that mount to the wall and actually hold the rod had the same spacing for screws as the one that I removed. Oh and while I'm on the topic of the old rod, here's a glimpse of what was there:
It was a decently strong metal rod, but noticeably tarnished and covered with a plastic that was once painted white, but much of that paint has scraped off to show the original sky blue color. On top of that, the mounts had been painted over yellow when the walls were painted. Not only were the mounts painted, but so where the screws holding them onto the wall. **What were they thinking?**
Back to the installation... I had to chip off the paint in order to get to the screws and to pry off the mount. I ended up peeling off the paint around the mounts and grabbed my bucket of primer and a paint brush so that the wall would have some protection and consistency around the new wall mount. Installing the mounts would have been easier had I ensured that my drill battery were charged, but I just used my biceps instead to put the mounts into the screw holes that were already there. If the holes hadn't been there I would have had to drill holes after making sure I had everything level. I did make it more difficult for myself to put the rod up because I didn't feel like switching the curtain rings on my curtains or trying to pull the current ones over the new rod after it was installed. I ended up putting the curtain on the rod before setting it onto the mounts. The unique piece about installing a curved rod (as opposed to a straight rod) is that there are additional bolts to attach the rod to the mounts so that the curved part is parallel to the floor and arching away from the shower. It took me a while to thread the bolts through, but if you haven't already put the curtain on the rod and are not working with an injured right thumb (which I had recently cut on my mini food processor blade), then lining up the rod with the holes on the mount would not be as difficult. The finished product is NOT silver, white, and blue... it IS a big improvement to a slowly improving bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment