Thursday, May 24, 2012

Questions I was asked yesterday

  1. "Do you need any extra tools?" 
  2. "Hey, I'm going to Home Depot. Do you need anything?"
As I always have house/yard projects underway, these are acceptable questions to ask me. A couple of great things about these questions really struck me: 1) Tools are meant to be lent. 2) Errands are meant to be bundled. 3) Most of all, I have a good support network of friends who will go out of their way to help me, lend me tools, run an errand for me.

I'm am so blessed that I have to take some time to expand on 3 a bit (please bear with my sappiness, but I wouldn't be able to tackle these projects if #3 didn't exist). The first question comes from Steve who helped me blow insulation into my attic, fill my raised garden with soil, and other projects. He texted me over the weekend to offer to help me with my deck... out of the blue.... just cause he has some time available. Steve, who could be doing a variety of other things, is going to help me dig holes in my backyard... and may even bring his own tools. How cool is that? The second question comes from my neighbor Amy, who is my free-mulch-gathering-sister and the owner of my dog's girlfriend. Over the past few months during doggy play dates and other hangout times, we have bonded over our love for Mother Earth News, gardening, healthy food experiments, and fun exercises. Her inquiry about my need for anything from a hardware store may seem like no big deal to her, but it's further evidence of her generosity (there are too many other occasions to list, but take my word for it that there would be a lot... and we've only been friends since February!).

Those questions reminded me of my other friends who have helped me paint, install ceiling fans, surprised me with a housewarming party; of neighbors who have helped me clean out my gutters, cut down tree limbs, gave me seeds; of co-workers who lend me tools, share their experiences; of family and family-friends who have helped me reseed my lawn, weed, grout my tub, fix my roof, plan my deck and will help me build my deck. And that list is by no means inclusive!

Thanks to each and every one of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment