Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Veggie-garden taking shape

 About a month ago a friend came to help me get and haul forty pound bags of top soil to fill my raised bed. He helped me layer the soil with compost and peat moss to make this beautiful garden. We also used some of the compost from my bin and turned the rest. Thanks Steve! While we were working in my garden, my neighbor inquired about what I was planting and when I told him vegetables, he offered to share some seeds a friend had given him, so I started my 2nd round of seedlings (basil, thyme, peppers, and rosemary)
partially filled (April)


Since the likelihood of frost had passed, I planted my lettuce seeds toward the front of the garden; peas and sunflower seeds went in the back. A couple of weeks later some people at my work were selling seedlings for a fundraiser, so I bought 15 seedlings for $5. I bought mostly tomatoes (4 different varieties) and peppers (both bell and spicy). I also picked up some cilantro and basil. When I planted those, I added a row of carrots. I also planted seeds of the jelly-bean-tomatoes and eggplants that I wasn't able to get to grow as seedlings. I planted some okra too. And to round it all off, last week I got a seedling of a Thai green eggplant from my farm share. I'm still hoping to find a stevia plant somewhere. I'll call some local nurseries this weekend to try to track one down. Anyway, a month after filling, see the picture below of the status.

My animals examining hydrangea bushes.
Sunflowers and the peas are in the garden.

Lettuce and other plants
protected by poultry fencing (May)

No comments:

Post a Comment