Thursday, October 21, 2010

Backyard overhaul

My backyard was a disaster. I had a compost pile (literally a pile) because I hadn't set up a compost bin. My shed was extremely drab. I had a half-taken-down jungle gym sitting uselessly on one side of the yard. Not to mention it was riddled with mosquitoes. Add those disasters to getting a dog... I knew I needed an overhaul.
Since I was adopting my brother's dog from him I asked for his help to get my backyard prepared for the pup.
Here's the yard a year ago:



We cleared brush and sticks, set up a compost bin (which we sealed with a $5 can of wood sealant from the hardware store's discard paint cart... and used the leftover for a shed facelift), tore down the playground, and moved the woodpile near the back of the fence to the side of shed, so the dog wouldn't climb on it to hop the fence.



The yard is still mostly dirt, but the mosquito problem decreased 100 fold and my pup has plenty of space to run around. And my rotting food pile now has a valid compost bin to decompose in.

1 comment: