Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The leaves didn't have a fighting chance...

One of my neighbors had a leaf shredder that she wasn't using... well, simply because she doesn't have any big trees. I, on the other hand, have a very large maple tree so she gave it to me and it's great! It's a fun fall yardwork toy. It's basically a plastic tub with a weedwacker inside of it that pulverizes the leaves like so:

My tree decided to drop the rest of its leaves this week. Many of the leaves fell into my next door neighbor's yard, which she bagged and then I snagged to turn into compost with the leaf shredder. I have a triple compost bin, so I may as well use it... I expanded the bin again since this post. Today, I shredded the 5 bags from my neighbor and the leaves that had accumulated on my deck. Despite looking like a really fast process above... it still took a while because I had to stop the shredding regularly in order to clear out twigs or to replace the trimmer line. I ended up bagging the leaves in my yard to shred later because I wanted to give the motor a break after an hour of use. Not only will I be shredding those leaves later, but my other next door neighbor's maple hasn't dropped many of its leaves yet. I'll be using the shredder a lot this fall.
this shredder
not this shredder
I will need to make sure I wear a face mask in the future to help keep the allergens down. I've been more sneezy than normal after all the leaf dust that got kicked up during that shredding process. It's worth it though to keep the leaves from blowing everywhere now and to have great soil next spring.
future compost

No comments:

Post a Comment