Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Fall Haul!

Those darn squirrels got to my butternut squash in the past few days. They were content eating everyone's decorative pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns in October, but have started scavenging again. They only got one of them, but it forced me to harvest the rest of them today. A few of them have splits in them and will need to be used soon. I'll freeze some butternut squash puree for making baked goods later. I'll probably make a Thai soup with one of them this weekend. The rest can last up to 6 months stored in my basement. Here are the 9 large squash of all different shapes hanging out with the pretty mums my neighbor gave me.
I also picked the rest of my jalapeƱos and dug up my sweet potatoes because it will likely get below freezing and stay cold for a while. I'll pickle the jalapeƱos because I can't use that many quickly enough. I'm going to try to cure the sweet potatoes for a week, which is supposed to make them sweeter.


I also dug up a small portion of my sunchoke crop. I probably have a ton, but they'll store better underground than if I harvest them so I'll just dig them up as I need them. Sunchokes, also known as Jerusalem Artichokes, are part of the sunflower family so the flowers added a little more yellow to my garden late in the summer. The tubers themselves are great to pan-fry and add to salads. They can also be used to make a hearty soup. I've only known about them for a few years and am having fun experimenting what to do with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment