Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Painting at the wall and ceiling

I previously mentioned a useful "edging tool" for painting where the walls and ceiling meet (see here). It has a flaw though... it leaves a slight gap at the very top of the wall. And when I say slight, I really do mean slight... as in, most people wouldn't be inspecting the walls for every possible flaw like the owner of the home would be and they wouldn't even notice. But I'm the owner of the home, so I noticed and for your benefit I'm blogging about it. Here's my tip:

Get a good angled 1-inch brush and paint to the top of the wall. It's better to get paint slightly on the ceiling than leaving the slight gap. A fairly steady hand will do a fine job. This tip should save you the trouble of "painting the wall, painting the ceiling, painting the wall" since you now know what looks better. And if you feel more comfortable using painters tape... then before you paint the top of the wall, put tape on the ceiling almost to (but not quite to) where the wall and ceiling meet because you don't want tape covering part of the wall.

1 comment:

  1. I always wondered how people did that! I knew a guy who had painted a 1/4 inch strip between the crown molding of two windows and I have always wondered how he did that too... so if you can solve this mystery for me, I would appreciate it. It's been like 3 years.

    Your blog is HOT. (PG County).

    ReplyDelete