Sunday, August 26, 2012

Deck nearly complete!


For all intents and purposes, it's a deck!

I want to add a ledge above the railing and am debating on how to do it. Here's your opportunity to vote on style! My three options are:
option 1 - no gap b/t ledge and railing
with post caps on 4x4s (36 inches)
option 2 - no gap b/t ledge and railing
with 4x4 cut flush (36 inches)
option 3 - gap b/t ledge and railing
(40 inches)
Leave your vote in the comments!


UPDATE (Aug 27): Option 1 wins based on comments here and Facebook! BTW- If you look closely in the picture above, the 3rd segment of the railing has a board on it that is how option 3 would look. Instead, I'll be notching boards to make the ledge and having my mom help me pick out post caps while she visits. Option 2 would have been the most difficult, so I'm glad that wasn't the preferred one =) Also, technically, recessed lighting could be done with any option, but due to limited electricity sources at the moment, it won't be happening any time soon.

7 comments:

  1. I think I like option 1 best. But it is amazing regardless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Option 1. You are too awesome for words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good!! I think option 1 for looks...but option 2 for functionality. Sorry, I'm no help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna be the modern one and go for Option 3, only because you could eventually install some sweet LED rope lights under that and make some killer recessed lighting. The unbroken surface area up top also gives you fore freedom to put stuff like planters or tiki torches up there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was about to say option 1 as well, but what Aaron K says is spot on... go for option 3 so you can hide some lights... and while Aaron speaks of planters and tiki torches, i'm thinking how awesome would all of our glasses of beer look lit up on that ledge? ;-)

    ReplyDelete