Monday, July 30, 2012

Attic Insulation Lessons Learned

After doing 2 types of insulation (foam and batting) in my attic, I have some experienced advice.
1. Removing old insulation is one of the worst projects. Don't bother.
2. Because of #1, foam insulation is only worth it for new construction.
3. Plan to do attic insulation in cool weather (70 degrees or less).
4. If doing batting insulation, arm yourself with a few 2x4s (a/b 4 ft long was good for me)... I used a couple of them to sit on and then used one to push the insulation where it needed to be.
5. Wear long sleeves, long pants, a mask, eye wear, and gloves.
6. Have an exacto knife available and some plywood to cut on b/c you may need to cut the insulation bats into pieces.
7. Solicit help. You'll at least want 1 person to hand insulation bats up to you and it's really not a good idea to climb ladders and do projects that involve balancing on beams by yourself. Heaven forbid you fall through the ceiling. We found an awesome trio worked really well... 2 in the attic to move stuff around and one to hand insulation up.
8. Borrow a truck/SUV to transport insulation. I could only fit 4 bundles in my car (and I needed 6-7 for my small attic).


No comments:

Post a Comment