Friday, June 15, 2012

Deck expenses so far

Here's an HVAC interlude... a post from me!
Soon to be followed by the HVAC completion blog post from Kelli.

I ordered my lumber today! I priced lumber, joist hangers, post caps, etc at both Lowes and Home Depot. I made a couple of adjustments and additions and went back to Lowes (three hardware store trips today in case you're counting). Lowes was a little cheaper, plus I went by the post office to grab a "change of address" packet, which conveniently contains a 10% off coupon for Lowes... saving me $105! They even said they could deliver it tomorrow!
Speaking of... let me know if you are willing and able to help with framing next weekend (23rd) or the following (30th).

Current expenses for lumber (including pre-constructed railings and 4 fence panels), concrete, wheelbarrow, hoes, other concreting materials, nails, screws, post caps, joist hangers, and other miscellaneous stuff:
$1,547
(Note: this cost estimate does not include the cost of food and drink for me and my super helpful friends... but in reality, I like cooking so the pleasure of making the food in itself is worth its cost.)
Update: I forgot to add the pricey permit cost, so it's actually $1,687 so far

I know I still need to get some bolts for the railing, but I suspect that it will cost about $6 per square foot of additional usable space. Not bad! Especially given a deck that size would cost me over $5,000 if I had to hire someone.

Yes this will be a LARGE deck = 12x24!
It's a good use of the space since my backyard is mostly dirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment