Thursday, October 21, 2010

Garden to-be

 When I was looking for a place to buy I prioritized having a place with a yard. I've already posted quite a bit about the grass and plants I planted in the spring, but my goal was to have a vegetable garden. Now I have a place in my sunny front yard to plant some vegetables and other plants in the spring. On Monday I built a 16 foot by 3 feet above ground garden container with landscaping timbers. I used 15-8 ft landscaping timbers and 8-2 ft rebar to build and secure the garden.


I made the garden 3 timbers high, so I cut 3 of the timbers with my miter saw so that I could get 6- 3ft timbers for the ends of the garden.

I dug out shallow spaces in the ground for the bottom timbers to fit into and set up the rest of the timber to make sure the timbers were spaced correctly. I guess a childhood playing with Lincoln Logs paid off. Once I got the ground level enough I was ready to drill holes for the rebar. I drilled all the way through the bottom 2 timbers but only 1/2 way through the top timber so that it could sit on top of the rebar to stay in place, but hide the metal. I got 24 inch rebar so that the metal would go at least a foot into the ground to secure the garden into place.

This picture shows the rebar going through the bottom timber and partially in the ground.
Once we (my mom helped me a lot this week) had the 2nd timbers in place, we hammered the rebar into the ground so only 2 inches were showing. Then we placed the top timber over the rebar and pressed it all down so that the garden box would be complete.

UPDATE:
I forgot to mention that this large garden only cost me about $36 to build. I also forgot to mention that my awesome Uncle Doug was kind enough to explain how he made his garden, which introduced me to the concept of using long pieces of rebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment