Monday, March 29, 2010

Dirty Yard

Hours of tilling later I had a "Dirt"y Yard. Tilling combines everything (grass, soil, leaves, debris) all together, so my mom suggested that we somehow sift out the unwanted materials. Mom started to pull out the bigger chunks of grass by hand, but that was taking a long time. My dad had a genius idea though. He had seen my kitty litter box in the basement and suggested we use the sifter part of it to clean up the yard. I don't think the cat mind since the yard/gardens will be her big litter box when I start to let her outside more regularly.
We also raked the yard as flat as possible and when I was as satisfied as I was going to get, we seeded the yard. Dad did a lot of it by hand, but I wanted to use my broadcaster (b/c when else will I have a chance to do so?). I spread the seed first and then went over the lawn with fertilizer. Then raked it through the soil and watered it. I know the birds have eaten some of the seed, so I probably should have gotten a bale of hay/straw to keep them from finding the seed so easily, but hopefully it'll start to show soon. We've been getting plenty of rain the past few days to keep the ground moist, but the temperature dropped too so that has probably inhibited the grass growth.
It hasn't prevented my tulip flowers from starting to show. They wouldn't be nearly as beautiful if my mom hadn't weeded all around them. Thanks Mom! They haven't actually bloomed yet so I'm excited to see what colors are there.


1 comment:

  1. Just a quick fyi... its better to just seed and not fertilize at the same time... the nitrogen "could" burn the new grass when it starts to germinate. Sod is sooooo much easier too ! You could have a brand new yard for around 200 bucks or less

    ReplyDelete