Monday, October 19, 2009

Refinishing Hardwood Floors: Getting Water Stains Out of Hardwood IS Possible

I was really discouraged when I removed the varnish and there was a huge, dark water stain in the middle of the living room floor. It was at least 2ft by 2ft. I checked with a variety of people who all believed I would have to tear up that hardwood and lay new in order for there not to be a stain. So, I did what any Generation Y-er would do and I googled it. Finding a solution wasn't that easy. The results said to use "oxalic acid crystals (available at paint or hardware stores)" or bleach. Well, bleach doesn't work... so I went on the search for oxalic acid crystals... that don't exist!
I ended up asking the workers at Home Depot if they knew of ways to repair the wood. They, too, were at a loss. But one worker recommended that I consult the carpet and flooring place just behind their store. When I got there and asked, I received a look of pity ("Sad, poor girl has a stain in her hardwood.") followed by a look of confusion ("What in the world are oxalic acid crystals?"). The manager decided to answer the question that had plagued us and he googled oxalic acid crystals. Apparently they are used to whiten teeth "like hydrogen peroxide." He apologized for not knowing a way for me to get the stain up, but little did he know a light bulb went off... "Why not try hydrogen peroxide? What do I have to lose?"

After quick stop at CVS to get a large bottle of hydrogen peroxide... I poured some onto a rag and placed it on a small section of the stain, weighted it down with a container, and left it for an hour or so. It took a little while to dry, but amazingly the dark water stain was gone from the spot! It was the happiest moment of my floor sanding experience... other than being done of course.


Moral of this story: Dark water stains can be removed with hydrogen peroxide.

... A word of warning though - too much hydrogen peroxide treatment might cause the floor to slightly yellow, so be patient.


My apologies for not having before-after pictures. I'm sad I didn't take any... but take my word for it... it was an amazing transformation!

2 comments:

  1. Hardwood refinishing service can change the looks of any house and bring cleanness in it. It is good for having if you have an infant. Certainely matter a lot if you have guests and they are making vows to your Hardwood Refinishing job. Thanks for the wonderful job.

    Hardwood Refinishing Info

    ReplyDelete