Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Go ahead. Eat my pumpkins now, squirrels!

My garden hasn't had a huge yield this year. I have had pests like squash bugs and harlequin bugs. I had too alkaline soil. And the squirrels got some of my tomatoes. The only crop that had a ton of yield was my ghost pepper plant.



I was sad that I only had 2 pumpkins, but happy they were impressively large. Then I saw this happened to the younger of the two...



UGH! I hate squirrels. Luckily, my one high-yield crop is the perfect defense! I made a homemade pepper spray with a chopped up ghost pepper and hot water. I made sure not to touch the pepper so I wouldn't hate my life. I could smell the heat. The rest of the process was done on my porch b/c I didn't want to risk spicy vapors in my home. I poured the hot water over the chopped peppers in my measuring cup and after letting it soak for a few hours, I poured the water into a spray bottle. The soaked peppers went straight into my compost bin, where the squirrels also occasionally frequent. I thoroughly sprayed the pumpkins. The squirrels will better stay away or THEY will hate life. The exciting news is that I have at least 4 new, tiny pumpkins starting and they have been ghost-pepper protected too. I have some spray left to reapply as they grow or in case it rains. Hoping it works!



No comments:

Post a Comment