Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Man Pride

I made a quick trip to the hardware store last weekend and as I was leaving I saw a guy about to load a huge box with a heavy grill into his truck. He was doing a good job maneuvering it from the flat-cart into the back of his truck, but it was awkwardly large so I offered to help... I know how an extra pair of hands just makes things easier. His response was, "I probably should take you up on that offer, but my man pride won't let me." A couple of adjustments later he was able to slide it right in. His comment made me laugh and reminded me of how my independent streak would have been inclined to respond in a similar way... and at times I have. Why do we make things harder for ourselves? What are we proving? I can move big boxes on my own... but I'm no less independent if I accept help that is offered to me. That guy would have been no less of a man if I held the cart in place or lifted the front of the box so it wouldn't catch on the truck bed. Speaking of pride... can we start being more proud of accepting help and then paying it forward? Instead of being proud of our brute force?

I've gotten better about accepting help... and asking for help. In fact, I'm going to be looking for help pretty soon because my large order of fence panels, doors, baseboards, and more is about to be delivered. That also means more blog posts in the future! Let me know if you want to help paint or install any of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment