Tuesday, March 4, 2014

asBESTos news!

My house is old, which means there's a risk of scary stuff... like asbestos. Asbestos isn't a big deal if it's left undisturbed, but as you may have figured out by now, my whole house needed revamping. If there's asbestos in my house... it's going to be disturbed. The basement - in its wood paneling glory - eventually needs to be gutted and remodeled and is the prime location for potential asbestos hazards in my house. Even though I won't be fixing my basement until I finish most other projects, I have some smaller ones coming up that require removal of ceiling tiles in the basement. I decided to throw on goggles, a mask, and gloves to get samples of the ceiling tiles and vinyl flooring tiles to send to a lab to be tested. It just made sense to test both pieces at the same time. You can buy kits for sending your samples away, but I read reviews that they are a waste of money because most labs just need the samples in ziploc bags.

Ceiling tiles
Vinyl floor tiles



The lab needed each sample in a separate marked ziploc bag, a chain of custody form, and a check or credit card to pay for the samples. I shipped it in a regular padded envelope and waited.

A few days later I got notice that they had received my samples and would get results to me approximately 9am on March 4th. Well, at 9:39 this morning in California an email was sent to me with the following great news!

I'm relieved that I don't have to hire professionals to gut my basement. Demolition is the most fun part, right?

1 comment:

  1. I just learned from a facebook friend that it cost her $5,000 to have asbestos removed! Further proof why this is such great news!

    ReplyDelete