Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Finally able to sleep in... and saved money making Blackout Curtains.

I have a south-east facing bedroom with 3 huge windows making it extremely difficult to sleep past sunrise. It wasn't too bad in the winter, but now sunrise is around 5:30 in the morning and it's bright!!! The blinds gave me privacy, but don't block out much light.

Solution: Blackout curtains! I got 3 long panels of brown blackout curtains (yes, they come in colors other than black) and did a little sewing with a borrowed sewing machine. From the 3 panels, I was able to make 6 curtains that fit my wide windows. I plan to add some sort of detail or tie-backs to them eventually. I'm thinking about integrating the teal color. For now they can be plain as long as they block out the early morning sun. Bonus - Blackout curtains are energy efficient b/c they prevent unnecessary solar heat in the summer, which lead to less AC use.


I believe I paid $10 each for the 3 panels, which would probably have been comparable or cheaper than buying blackout fabric from a fabric store. Tip: To save money on window treatments for shorter windows buy 1 long panel to make 2 curtains.

I've had two people ask me where I got the curtains, so I figured I would add that information to the post. I bought them at Anna's Linens. I think they were these.

3 comments:

  1. So I swear I commented on this from my iPhone, but I don't think it posted correctly...so thanks for posting the pics! They look great, and they'll keep me from buying the same ones for my place (once was funny, twice would just be too much)!

    ReplyDelete