Monday, June 7, 2010

Breaking bits building a knee wall

When I first moved into the house and was refinishing the floors I removed the banisters from the stairs. The ones at the top of the stairs were not particularly useful because the top 5 steps were missing a good hand railing. The only support would have been to grab the wooden balusters, which just seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

A knee wall is more useful in that spot because then I would be able to attach a long handrail along it going down the stairs. This blog post is about my weekend project of building a knee wall. It doesn't look pretty yet, but the structure is there.

I did my requisite google research about how to build a knee wall before getting started and bought my supplies. 2x4s, a 1x6 oak ledge, and drywall were the main purchases. I also got a dowel to attach the base 2x4 to the former baluster holes. I already had wood screws, drywall screws (thanks to Momma-G), wood glue, joint compound, drywall tape. I ended up buying a new drill because the hand-me-down drill in the picture below wasn't cutting it. I went for a corded one b/c I don't need the mobility associated with battery operated drills, it was cheaper, and I'd like to think it's more environmentally friendly. Somehow in the course of building the wall, I ended up with a bruised knuckle. I should be more careful when using my drill because people will think I spend my weekends punching people or things. I'm a lover, not a fighter.

I did some measurements and got to use my mitre saw to cut the 2x4s to length. I also drilled holes in them for the dowel pieces to line up with the holes in the floor. This picture shows hole 1 of 4. The holes lined up when I flipped the 2x4 onto the holes shown in the floor.





When I was cutting the 2x4 so that the wall would be almost 3ft tall, I decided to duct taping the 3 beams together for making the final cut so that they would all be the same height. Then I screwed the 2x4s all together and added the dowels resulting in this frame:


It was at this point that I broke the bit, which I mentioned in a previous post, so it will forever be in this wall. Word of warning - bits get hot! I secured this into the wall and the floor with 2½ inch screws in addition to the dowel pieces.

Then I cut the oak ledge to size and secured it with a lot of wood glue. After I let it dry I used some shorter wood screws to secure it from underneath... don't want those screws to show, so be sure to do this before putting on the drywall. I was a little paranoid about the sturdiness of the wall so I decided to use all pieces of the 2x4s that I could and added some extra support like so:


The last part that I was able to do over the weekend was add drywall to the sides and spackle over the screws. Here's the current status of the wall!

7 comments:

  1. You rock, girlfriend! Too bad you have your own house to deal with - I need french doors framed and installed! If you ever get tired of fixing up your house, come on over :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous. . . .you're more manly than I am

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really Wesley? "Manly"? What was it that you said in a previous comment "Men are stupid we put our foot in our mouths sometimes"?
    Don't liken me to that and take your foot out of your mouth now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooooh wow! tough talk little lady

    just for that, when next time I see you I'll be sure to bring you a knitting kit and apron to balance things out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about you get me something I DON'T have? I have crochet hooks too, so put that one out of your mind. My skillz cross ages and sexes! While we're stereotyping why don't you add some ageism to the mix and throw in a grandma joke?

    Now, are you ready to man-up and lay down a useful comment or an appropriate compliment? =)

    I'm done being feisty. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. **shrivels into a dark corner of the room with tears in his eyes**

    ReplyDelete