Friday, May 14, 2010

Ceiling fan installation

The DC area seems a bit confused about what season it is. One day it feels like spring, then we get a taste of summer, we think we've jumped straight to fall, but then we're back to spring. I'm not fooled though because I know summer is approaching so I decided to prep my room for humid summer nights. The house has central air, but I grew up in the south without AC, so I'm well versed in the benefit of air movement via ceiling fan. I also think it looks nicer than this light.


I won't go through the whole installation process because fans have instructions included. There are some tips and tricks that will make the installation process easier.
My first tip on ceiling fan installation: Don't do it alone. This is important for 2 reasons: dealing with electricity is never a solo project and there are too many pieces for 2 hands. I got Emily to help me tackle this project for her first visit to my house (she'll have the opportunity for revenge since she just bought a home).
Second tip: Turn off the power to the light at the fuse/breaker box. Dealing with electricity is much safer when you cut the power. Electrocution is bad.

Since I was doing a flushmount installation with the ceiling fan, I had to insert some small screws at the very top of the fan. The ceiling got in the way. More than a couple of times, we dropped the screws... that wasn't a big deal until one fell into the fan. I had to disconnect the wires, remove the fan, get the screw out with needle-nosed pliers, and essentially start over. This happened twice when my patience ran out and I covered the holes before trying again. Save yourself the hassle and use this better plan: before starting installation, use some masking tape over potential holes in the fan that screws may fall into.
Another problem with the close-to-ceiling screws is that the threads didn't want to line up. The needle-nosed pliers came in handy again. I used them to hold and guide the screw while using the screwdriver, and it caught the thread and glided in.
The end result is this awesome fan.



I should also warn you that ceiling fan installation does require upper body strength. Be prepared for a good shoulder workout.

3 comments:

  1. Fan bonus: you can use your old light fixture as a very ugly and dusty serving dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an improvement! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'll wash the old light fixture first :)
    Thanks Eric!

    ReplyDelete