Sunday, May 30, 2010

Border lilies are blooming

Most of the plants are thriving. The plants my mom ordered for me included a set of Red Border Lilies, which border my front yard... kind of like the tulips did.

The knockout roses are the exception to the thriving. Three of the five aren't doing well. If it were all of them, I'd think it was something I did, but the ones that are doing well aren't even next to each other. I'm going to just hope that the other three are able to revive themselves from the roots. If you have any advice, please pass it along.

I have an absurd amount of mint. It's the most fragrant mint I've ever smelled and I'm tempted to plant more throughout my grass because it makes mowing the lawn pleasant.


The butterfly bushes seem quite happy. One has quadrupled in size.

In the backyard:
Some friends helped me put together an above ground garden with garden soil and peat moss. I put a brick border around it with some brick remnants I got from freecycle. Freecycle was also the source of some day lilies that I put in the back of the garden. They're drooping a little but I am confident they'll perk up soon. The garlic in the same garden is sprouting, as are 2 unidentified plants that were also part of the masses of plants my mom sent. I don't remember exactly what I planted where, but as long as they're growing I'm happy. Some animal ate my kohlrabi seedlings that I got from my CSA farm share, but the basil, cilantro, and parsley seedlings are growing quickly.


I'm particularly pleased with how the variegated hosta plants and ferns are doing in the shade garden. I used some chopped wood that was at the very back of my backyard to section off this shade garden. It should still get plenty of run-off water from rainstorms since it's at the bottom of my hill and I've added some mulch to keep moisture from evaporating as quickly.


A tip I learned from a friend is that you can use grass clippings around plants just as you would mulch. Thrifty, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment