Friday, July 25, 2014

Standard in 1952 is not standard in 2014

The exciting Friday night of a homeowner... Weedwhack the ridiculous grass and weeds that took over my backyard and begin installation of closet door. Don't be jealous.

I ordered new doors for my linen closet, bathroom, spare room, bedroom, and bedroom closet. All of the doors except for my bedroom closet needed new door frames. Since my house was built a long time ago when 2x3s were acceptable for framing walls, I had to special order them. They're camped out in my spare room for now.

Old strike plate...
 inconveniently painted over.
I thought... "Lucky me. There's at least one door that doesn't need a new frame!" So I only ordered a new door panel for my bedroom closet. Installing that door was something I could do without an extra pair of hands, so I decided to use my free night to start that project. I was making great progress chiseling the door frame for the new hinges and putting my new door knob in to get everything to line-up correctly before drilling the holes in the door for the hinges... but nothing ever goes as planned. The new doorknob latch doesn't line up with the location in the old door frame for the strike plate. It's about an inch higher and may overlap with the old hole, which is problematic.

In case you were wondering... walls are built with 2x4s now and door knobs are higher. I should have ordered this door with a frame too... but I didn't, so I'm going to brainstorm a new solution. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment